Thursday, January 5, 2012

TMI: Two minutes of insight-Tin foil dryer sheets/ fake it fabreze

Hi
So let me introduce my new segment called TMI: Two minutes of insight.I decided to add this posting segment so I could try new things (cost saving, interesting, natural) and report it back to you all. I'll test it and you get the benefits!

What got me started on this kick was I was watching this local life and style show and one of the contributors talked about using 3 balls of tin foil instead of dryer sheets when you dry your clothes. Dryer sheets were not being used in our home b/c of my sweet lil guys sensitive skin. I hated having clingy static-y clothes so I thought I would give it a go. To my surprise it worked!

5 months later I have never looked back. I think what turned me to looking more into other things like this is the cost savings. I hate spending money on things that I can find around home. 3 balls of tin foil cost me a few cents and to my knowledge you never have to replace them. They never stop being effective in removing static.


So if you assume the 3 walnut sized balls of foil cost me maybe $.05 and a box of 200 dryer sheets cost me $5.97. I run about 7 loads per week of laundry and used at least 1 dryer sheet per load that is 364 loads per year. 1 dryer sheet costs me $.03.

Dryer sheets
$.03x 364= $10.92 per year

Tin Foil
$.05 per year (lets assume I change them twice a year) $.10 per year

Savings per year by using Tin foil over dryer sheets?
$10. 82
after 5 years
$54.10
and that is not including the fact that dryer sheets actually can damage your dryer. So you avoid maintenance costs as well.



So there you have it. I would love suggestions of things you all would like me to try out for you. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Here is a bonus TMI--- Fake it-Fabreze

The follwoing is a post I found months ago about making your own fabreeze. I always found that I liked the concept of fabreeze but had a hard time spending the money or finding a scent I liked.
I found a different recipe I like to use. (found here #2 is what I used) .

here is another recipe I found on the Fake it Frugal blog and she had the following cost break down

To Refill your already existing 32 oz Febreze Spray Bottle:

1/8 Cup of Your Favorite Fabric Softener
2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
Hot Tap Water - To Fill the Bottle to the Top

Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:


Fake Febreze ($0.15 or less for 1 oz Fabric Softener)

Total Fake-It Cost: $0.15 Each

Compare to Actual Febreze ($5.59 Each, seriously?)

Total Fake-It Savings: $5.44 Each*

*Let's say you purchase 6 bottles of Febreze per year, that's a Savings of $32.64 per year!

Check back soon everyone I will have another TMI for you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Though - I rarely use dry-er sheets.....I guess I don't really have a problem with static. Plus, I just dry all of Amelia's clothes on a rack in the laundry room - what do you save by not actually drying a load?

    Cool Fabreeze thing too - I never thought to make it.

    ReplyDelete